The World Indoor Bowls Championship
The World Indoor Bowls Championship - 26/01/2018
The World Indoor Bowls Championship was first held in 1979 at Coatbridge in Scotland for men's singles only. The event was sponsored by Embassy in the early years and grew in stature. In 1988 the venue changed to Alexandra Palace and one year later Churchill Insurance took over the sponsorship when the championships were held at Preston Guild Hall.
The Midland Bank and SAGA were two more sponsors during the Preston era. In 1999 Potters Holidays came in to take over the sponsorship and the event moved to Potters Resort in Hopton-on-Sea, where it is still held today. The BBC also show live coverage of the championships during the last week which includes all four competition finals.
The men's pairs started in 1986, the women's singles in 1988 and the mixed pairs in 2004. Both the men's singles and men's pairs changed to open singles and open pairs following the rule change which allowed women to compete in them.
Previous winners of the World Indoor Bowls Championship
Year Country Name
- 2000 Wales - Robert Weale
- 2001 Scotland - Paul Foster (2/5)
- 2002 England - Tony Allcock (3/3)
- 2003 Scotland - Alex Marshall (2/6)
- 2004 Scotland - Alex Marshall (3/6)
- 2005 Scotland - Paul Foster (3/5)
- 2006 England - Mervyn King
- 2007 Scotland - Alex Marshall (4/6)
- 2008 Scotland - Alex Marshall (5/6)
- 2009 England - Billy Jackson
- 2010 England - Greg Harlow
- 2011 Scotland - Paul Foster (4/5)
- 2012 England - Andy Thomson (3/3)
- 2013 Scotland - Stewart Anderson
- 2014 Scotland - Darren Burnett
- 2015 Scotland - Alex Marshall (6/6)
- 2016 England - Nick Brett
- 2017 Scotland - Paul Foster (5/5)
Showstoppers Rosettes & Trophies are a one stop shop for all your show needs. Call us on 01623 754 985 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.